PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2012, 13:19
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Danny 42C :-
Teeside (ridiculously: "The Durham and Tees Valley International Airport") is a shadow of its former self now, don't know what will happen to it.
I remember staying at the St George (nee Officers Mess) in my Dan Air days. We had the morning free so wandered around the easily identifiable late pre-war RAF Station buildings. Guard Room, Service Institute, Barrack Blocks, etc all readily identifiable. I was a bit confused by the latter as the camp had been built with the later blast protection concrete raft flat roofs, but here was one sporting a tiled gabled roof. My confusion was soon remedied by a chap asking pointedly if he could help us. Turned out to be the site foreman of the company now owning said blocks. He explained that the concrete rafts were as good as ever but as they were converting the blocks to student accommodation (for Teeside Poly/Uni) the decision had been taken to "pretty them up" hence the gabled roof.
BTW the Meteor assy fatal accident that impacted the Mess is explained here:
teesside
True to form it only adds to the mystery of this affair. The lead story relates that it hit the inside face of the West Wing, ie the far wing looking at the picture (and where I was told that it hit). However we are then told that where it hit was the outer wall of the Mess to the right of the picture, ie the East Wing. Wouldn't be a good story though if it didn't have many variations!