PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indigenous Flight Training
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2012, 11:38
hiwaytohell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a mature attitude!

Having been personally involved in the delivery of indigenous programs a few years ago it was an extremely worthwhile endeavour and although a small percentage may not have been from disadvantaged backgrounds the programs transformed the lives for the majority of the kids that went through the program.

The racism these kids faced was an eye opener in our modern inclusive society.

Despite some pretty tough backgrounds (through no fault of their own) these kids worked their guts out, not only to become fine aircrew but also to become role models for the next generation who still face a pretty bleak future.

75% of the kids we trained went on to good careers, unfortunately 25% did not, however the training nevertheless transformed their lives as well.

Sure they were subsidised. But that was an investment in breaking a poverty/alcohol/no hope cycle. For my taxes it was money well spent!

I am not aware of any current flying programs. But I think there are some still available for apprentices in WA, VIC, NT and QLD.

Your local Centrelink or Employment Network offices should be able to point you to the people who handle indigenous programs. Remember though these are still competitive, so just because you identify as aboriginal does not mean automatic acceptance.