PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Once a pilot - now a computer's sidekick
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2012, 02:59
34R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I couldn't think of anything better than steaming into a circuit at 320 kts, having managed my profile sufficiently to give me a nice level segment, run the gear and flaps and be stable at the appropriate stage in the approach. How rewarding! Or to have done the same thing, made a meal of it, learnt something about myself and applied it to the next approach. Again, how rewarding!

Sadly, some aspects of that era have passed me by, but the onus to learn, make mistakes and limit their reappearance remain. I love making the 737's automatics work for me. Mr Boeing put it there for a reason and if you know it's limitations it works very well. I love even more removing those automatics, doing what it is that I love to do, with a healthy respect for my limitations, and achieving the same result.

I'm sure aviators through the ages have assessed those who carry the torch after them a little harshly. As sure as death and taxes, there will always be someone who operated before you, and did it harder and better with less going for them and more going against them. How we approach our craft within the environment we operate in and restrictions we have imposed on us, I think, is more relevant.