PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 9
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2012, 20:54
henra

Received 105 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by RetiredF4

G command’ which is a desirable capability at high speeds, means that for a particular amount of control column force, you get (available energy permitting) the same ‘g’ regardless of prevailing airspeed. Similarly, in a pitch-rate command system, you get the same amount of pitch rate for a given control column force regardless of prevailing airspeed.
That is the description of a G command law vs a pitchrate law.
It does not describe the switching from one to the other which is happening with a C*.
When switching to the other prevailing command law it will do so also for stick neutral, i.e. it will keep pitch rate constant if SS is neutral.
Otherwise it would still be a G command law. However I'm not aware that the laws switch depending on SS deflection.
My understanding is the following:
At higher speeds (lets say above 230kts) it will keep 1 g at stick neutral and when deflecting the g load will always be the same for a certain stick position, independent of the speeds (so at 280 kts the same deflection will yield the same g as at 230kts).
Below a certain threshold (which was still quite a bit above stall speed IIRC) the law blends over to a pitch rate law. I.e. at SS neutral pitch rate is 0, thus pitch constant.
A certain deflection will always yield the same rate of pitch change once this law is the dominant one.

Last edited by henra; 8th Aug 2012 at 21:10.