PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2012, 16:18
Danny42C

Comment.

To All Comers - Greetings,

Radio Interference - it sometimes works the other way. At Geilenkirchen in the early '60s some of our UHF frequencies triggered off the alarm systems in the huge Brunssum (?) coal mine which lay under the airfield. Don't know how they sorted that out.

BEagle, can't remember being pestered by Jehovah's Witnesses or the like over the airwaves or on the ground, but they wouldn't get past the MP on the gate, and in any case we were mainly "out in the sticks" in the States.

Landing the Meteor T7 on one - the stuff of nightmares ! The tale I heard (at Driffield in '50) was that they originally flamed one out (to make it more "real" - which it sure did), until some statistician at Command worked out that the number of accidents in training from this source (per 10,000 hrs) exceeded the failure rate of the Derwent V engine over the same period. Reluctantly, they went over to the softer option of pulling one back to idle, and that was hairy enough for me.

If you really wanted an out-of-body experience, a spin in the thing would do. "A rough ride can be expected" said the Pilot's Notes, and they weren't kidding.

DFCP,
I quote: ........."Didn't see you when I flew in there (Thornaby) on 31st March, '52 in a Harvard"......... Who was I ? - how would you recognise me then?.......... How would I recognise you now?........The beauty of PPRuNe is our anonymity: we're all disembodied spirits in our Virtual Crewroom!

Taphappy,
Jurby - must have been nice. When I was a boy, we used to spend our summer holidays in Ramsey, and had many a trip on the electric tram to Douglas. Never knew the steam train got up so far north in the island, must have puffed up the west coast!

pzu,
Looks like no joy, I'm afraid.......A pity........So many names, so long ago........

Yamagata Ken,
Your Dad seems to have struck lucky in the end. CMF Army Welfare Training Centre in Rome from September '44 to June '46 (it was a rotten job, but someone had to do it !)

Cheerio all round,

Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 8th Aug 2012 at 16:23. Reason: Spelling Error