PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 9
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2012, 15:43
CONF iture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THS

Originally Posted by IF789
At Schipol the 737 autotrimmed into stall and trim was never touched in recovery (nor was thrust properly applied, but had it been the result might have been worse due to trim - see e.g. Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol ).
But at least the rule was clear and unambiguous : Under manual flying it is the pilot job to trim.
Under manual flying by Airbus it is different, sometimes I trim for you, sometimes I don't, and sometimes I even won't tell if I don't : Perpignan

Surely only if the stick is held back, which will be fatal anyway in stall ?
Once again, the stick was NOT held back for the period of time the THS rolled back.

IMO there is something very critical here :
Regarding the specificity of the flight law, for the THS to stop rolling back, even a push on the sidestick (G demand below 1) should have been greater or in this case lower that the measured G for the period and that measured G was already below 1.0
In other words, even a push on the sidestick, if it was not strong enough, could have seen the THS still moving further up.

RRR Gums and RF4 may have made comments in that direction earlier. Tell me if I have misunderstood you please.

The auto trim behaviour clearly has been investigated, based on what is in the report.
Far from it, very far.

Resources are finite, and I don't think the investigation necessarily has the remit to go further into things that may be interesting but not causative or relevant to the outcome of the accident.
The position of the THS is absolutely relevant to the outcome of that flight.
It is also part of the cause.