PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA Cadet Pilot - All Batches, Merged
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2012, 15:07
flying.monkeyz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From "Silkair Defects to Boeing - 54 firm 737-800s & Max "

It's rather disconcerting to see a thread that was originally meant to discuss SilkAir's acquisition of Boeing 737 has diverted to a xenophobic route.

Dear Singapore Airlines,

You as a pilot should know very well by now that one's academic record is just one factor of consideration of pilot recruitment. Not all PhD rocket scientists qualify to be aviators. So while the strength of our recent graduates in academics and extracurricular activities is tremendous, there are more to just good results in order to fly.

I have seen too many cases of Singaporeans with outstanding results messing up their interviews, thinking that they should rightfully get the job. A Singaporean friend of mine on his second round can't even tell the panel what engines are on SQ's 777!

I believe the reason airlines here aren't able to find sufficient suitable Singaporeans to be cadet pilots are as follows:

1. Not all Singaporeans want to be pilots.
2. Not all Singaporeans who want to be pilots qualify to be pilots.
3. Not all Singaporeans who want to be pilots get support to be pilots.
4. Not all Singaporeans who want to be pilots have the skills to be pilots. I'm no musician, even if you strap me to a guitar.
5. Not all Singaporeans who want to be pilots are medically fit to be pilots.
6. Not all Singaporeans who want to be pilots behave and think like pilots.
7. Not all Singaporeans who want to be pilots prepare themselves for the interview, just like my Singaporean friend above.
And I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons. Though we have a population of over 5 million, after all the filtering / shortlisting / selection, there really aren't many left. Did I mention those that were terminated during their training phase? And surely you'll know that when it comes to cadet pilots, the SIA group is now competing with Jetstar and Tiger, and if you look at the Tiger's ads in the papers on Saturday and today, they strictly wants Singaporeans and PRs only. The pool of "suitable" candidates are only so big.

I can't help but to sense this strong sour feeling that you emitted for not being able to score your dream job. I'm sure you were academically qualified, otherwise you won't be called up for the interview. Did you do one of SQ's management's favourite activities AKA POST-MORTEM? What happened in your interviews? What did you do that may have resulted in you not being selected? Did you say anything wrong? Maybe it was the way you presented yourself, the way you answered their questions... etc etc etc. Remember the interviewers are looking for "the right fit". Maybe you just did not have the right fit for them.

Not trying to put you down but I'm not sure how successful you're gonna get for "spreading the cause". Unless you're the next PM and change the policy, I believe you're beating a dead horse / barking up the wrong tree.

This reply is also posted in the SIA Cadet Pilot thread for the information of aspiring cadet pilots, so as to enable them to be better informed and prepared for interviews, and hopefully selected by the airline for a fulfilling career.