PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAFFT:- Goalpost change.
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2012, 12:46
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A little bit of deviation and repetition.

Believe it or not but the modern RAFFT mania can be traced back to the London-Paris Air Race of 1959. The race was won by Sqn Ldr Charles Maughan. As part of his pre-race fitness regime he was reputed to jump from his 1st floor quarter bedroom before exercising on the lawn.

He was smitten with the RCAF 5xX fitness plan and tried unsuccessfully when he was OC IX Sqn to introduce the plan to the whole Bomber Wing at Coningsby in 1964. This scheme was thwarted by a cunning flt lt who intercepted the parcel of 5xX plans.

Later, the CMO at Strike Command produced an article Fit to Survive[/I][/I]. Maughan, now an air officer, seized the opportunity and used this as the reason for introducing the 1.5 mile run on a quarterly basis but still only for aircrew. It was unpopular as a number of highly trained aircrew became temporarily indisposed through injury and I think at least one died. The scheme was quietly shelved when Maughan was posted.

The mid-80s then saw a short lived revival but now involving everyone up to the rank of sqn ldr; nothing like leadership. So the tests went on in fits and starts but no real enthusiasm and a general reluctance to provide or improve facilties, especially changing rooms and lockers. A number of units provided non-public fitness suites which were generally much better equipped and attended than the public ones.

Most guys are happy to get fit if given the right conditions.