PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ULTIMATE RESCUE HELICOPTER
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2012, 11:57
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Old Duffer

That 1986 meeting, the SAR Planning Committee, was my first real experience of Don'tgivea****itis among beancounters. The Chairman, an Air Commodore, was completely ambushed by the BC, who waltzed in toward the end, set up a flipchart with map and circles, stated the overlapping stations must close and walked out. The Chairman was furious, but it transpired his bosses had known all about it, rolled over and not bothered telling him. (The main subject of that meeting was agreeing the conversion programme details for CSAR. The BC's announcement served to divert attention from CSAR, which in hindsight was probably his aim).

Believe me, Main Building and AbbeyWood have many such BCs and non-aircrew/engineers who are hostile to what SAR tries to achieve, and simply don'tgivea****.

By the way, I watched "Helicopter Rescue" on the box last night. Excellent. Pity it ended with something like "The iconic yellow helicopter will ALWAYS be there when needed". Perhaps the producers hadn't been briefed by MoD. It would be entirely typical if one part of MoD ploughed resources into supporting the programme, oblivious to the cancellation of Military SAR.