PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Extreme pain in forehead during descent/landing
Old 8th Aug 2012, 10:36
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wombat, quite right. Self-medication can worsen the condition.

GP-wise it is vital that you find one that understands aviation medicine as well. I was once prescribed nasal drops to be applied by tipping my head back and using a pipette to put drops down each nostril.

My barotrauma would have occured in an unpressurised aircraft in a high speed descent from high level. Aside from the risk of hypoxia had I removed my oxygen mask there would have been a loose article risk with my holding bottle in one hand and pipette in the other. Finally, with a helmet it would have been impossible to tilt my head back.

I was cleared to fly but the Doc was so ignorant of aviation medicine, and this on a flying unit, that I refused to fly.

For a passenger, if you get a sudden onset of ear ache man up and call the flight attendants. They may offer a decongestant and request the captain, as a medical emergency, to ease the rate of descent.

The bottom line remains DO NOT FLY.