PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying single props into LAX?
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2012, 10:25
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
f you want to mingle with the big boys in LA, just pop down to Orange County (John Wayne Airport) and you'll get your fill. Last time I was following a 737, "caution wake turbulence", and chased by a 757. Complete with the extortionate handling at Signature. Or you can do Burbank, but they have less big guns.
SNA is a good airport. Approaching from the N VFR they (used to anyway) get you to fly over the airport at about 1500' before joining downwind on 19L (I think it is). 19L has a modified base pattern due to the parallel 19R which is pretty close, and once you're on final for 19L you have all manner of 737's, 757,s etc overtaking you on the parallel 19R final approach. Kind of scary the first time a 757 shoots by you! I just landed, taxied back and got a clearance to take off again, no charge (in fact you could do ccts there for no charge). The take off from 19L requires an immediate left turn or else you may end up with a 757 up your arse!

The USA is a totally different flying experience. Flying past SNA just along the coast a while back and you can watch the airliners departing towards you. We were at 2500' and a 737 just departed. ATC limited him to 2000' due to us and we had this nice picture of a 737 going straight underneath. Try that around Gatwick....