PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RR Griffon 65
Thread: RR Griffon 65
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2012, 08:47
Peter-RB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RR Griffon 65

I wonder if any of you could help me to determine the answer that is eveading my search,

Last evening I was invited along with a few other aero engine nutcases to look at a private collection of RR aero engines along with a nearly full late model Spitfire( certain parts are replica, A/C cannot be flown) and I came across a Griffon 65, fitted with contra props as was the Griffon 58 fitted to the Shackleton , this is where i need help,...

The Shack Griffon had two set of props L/H and R/H tractor on the same spindle with the rearmost blade being the greater diametre due to refinements discovered soon after going into service, the reason I was told by the Hawker engineers at the De Havilland Prop site in Horwich Lancashire was the larger rear blade stopped blade resonace and tip bending due to the supersonic airwaves when the two blades passed each other, and indeed whatever picture of the Shackleton you see all the blades follow that pattern.

The Griffon 65 I saw was indeed a contra prop engine due obviously to the fitting of the longer R/H tractor prop spindle, two props were fitted and all looked correct until I came nearer to the exhibit, the Griff 65 was fitted with the longer prop blade to the front with the shorter blade to the rear, I cannot remember any other fitting where the front prop was the longer(or greater in Diametre) as a guest of a guest to this private showing I felt Icould not pose a question that might have embarrased the owner of the said collection, so I pose this question to you experts here on this site, and that is ,...
What Aircraft fitted with the Griff 65 had the greater prop dia at the front, .

also in that private collection I had hands on a Napier Sabre engine, which I have been looking for since I first read about the unique and complex engine that was fitted to the Hawker Typhoon, what a superb and well engineered engine to say it was the 1940s when it was made, we really have had some brilliant engineering minds making power plants for our aircraft.

Any help with the RRgriff 65 would put my fevered brain to rest

My regards

Peter RB
Lancashire