PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inappropriate rotation technique
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2012, 22:40
hawk37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I apologize to the group for posting and then not being around for follow-up. The last 4 days have been unexepectedly busy for me.

The first post, JT says "Can't see any problem with stall onset" and when I read it I thought I agreed, remembering I had said "to the computed take off pitch attitude, (and not beyond)" clearly in my post. Subsequent posts seem to challenge this.

I Clunk says:
"You rotate early, get airborne early (Vmu or "slow") and are at a pitch/airspeed mis-match (ie AOA)".
Would you really get airborne if you don't exceed your computed attitude?

G Flyer says:

"a rapid rotation can cause the plane to be airborne in ground effect.... Where a slower rotation rate results in the plane passing thru ground effect and accelerating. A wing stalls at a lower AoA in ground effect than in a free stream. so, the wing can rapidly reach its stall AoA in ground effect and roll off"
Airborne before the computed take off pitch attitude, is this really possible to have these effects?

Sheppey says:
"It was the extremely rapid rate of rotation when using Flap one for take off on the 737-200, that caused marked wingdrop and pitch up associated aymmetric wing icing." Again, was this before reaching take off pitch attitude?

Maybe it's just pilot lore, but I thought the phrase "rotation rate affects the stalling angle of an airfoil" has been around for quite awhile.

Explanations?