PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 report out
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2012, 16:45
Lonewolf_50

Received 431 Likes on 272 Posts
ap08:

A while back (one or two threads previous), some interesting graphs were presented that showed estimated characteristics of the airfoils (wing and THS/Elevator assembly) at increasing angles of attack.

This raised in my mind the matter of the lever arm between the THS/Elevator, the Cg, and the amount of lift the THS/Elevator can generate even if it isn't stalled. As V decreases the V^2 derived force (max potential) needed to tip the nose up and over may not be available.

Even if the THS / Elevator suite are NOT stalled, in terms of flow separation, control authority me be limited, or gone. (There was also discussed the matter of control rates, trim rates, and pitch rates).

It was something we kicked around.

I think Owain or mm43 or Henra or gums, or Retired F4 put up a few graphs on high AoA characteristics. It had two different spikes: at stall, and then a lot of degress AoA into deeper stall.

What I seem to recall from that discusion was that the lever arm was sufficient for most cases.
But
Since there isn't flight test data to back it up (is there?) this may remain one of those unanswered questions, with the basic operating theory being established as:

Don't Go There. (Literally, in the aerodynamic sense).