PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 9
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2012, 16:34
Lonewolf_50

Received 403 Likes on 250 Posts
Lyman:
Without Artificial Horizon, his confusion re: Pitch, airspeed, and Vs plus his preoccupation with a very real roll, and an imaginary overspeed, and STALL is creeping up quite close.
Per BOAC and henra: whence comes this assertion? I thought we put that to bed a while back, when I wandered off the reservation on the 'tumbling gyros' jag and was reeled back in by some kind contributors here.
The Rolling Stones will supplement the sound track with an excerpt from the unreleased album, Exile From Tolouse Street:

"You got me ro-oh-oh-lin, call me the Tumblin' Gyyyy-ros!"

Tex
But to answer your question, I'll take a guess that most of the 36 other crews were flying the 330 as their second/third/fourth etc, transport category swept wing jet. Maybe their Bus training was inadequate, may not. But they likely had previous experience to fall back on either way. If I read the BEA report correctly, the two guys at the controls for AF447 were essentially Airbus only.
This is where "the industry" may need to speak up. Maybe only the pilot's Associations are in a position to do this. (Quite possibly I am off the reservation on this as well. Reel me in, if need be, Tex).

CONF iture
Time to time as the malfunctions activate the direct law, manual trimming is necessary.
Also, some exercices as manual back up and lost of elevators put manual trimming as the main source for pitch control.
Trimming remains natural for a pilot, and also a source of satisfaction in the way to handle manual flying. It is almost disturbing the first time you experience the Bus in manual flight, and that possibility to trim is taken away from you.
But to answer your question, I think that for every recurrent we should be given a 15 minutes period in direct law with no FD and practice some basic exercices. I hope this will come.
Thank you for that concrete and informative reply.