PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who, what, when, where?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2003, 09:51
Spot 4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sea Balliol

Engines used during development include the RR Dart and AS Mamba. The Govt specification was for a Merlin powered aeroplane and for a while, Boulton Paul used a Bristol Mercury Radial engine, however they eventually settled on a single Mamba of which the Gannet later had 2.

30 sea Balliols were used between Sep 53 and Sep 63. ie in service after the last Skyraider with the airframe allocated to Boscombe Down serving until 1969, and now in the RAF Cosford museum.

I believe that all operational aircraft had the Mamba turboprop fitted which would exclude this aircraft from this particular "quizz".

I am enjoying the thread though, its almost as good as Damiens monthly photo quizz.

AL1 After checking that I am not talking b0110x:

The Sea Balliol was retro fitted with the Merlin 35, and is an RN aircraft in an RAF Museum (hence shouldnt be there?), further reading shows that the engine change was simply to appease the govt! One has to ask who knows best Aircraft manafacturer or Government. I suspect that the answer has been found, over to Sycamore for a response:

Last edited by Spot 4; 8th Jan 2003 at 10:14.