PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FlyEASA, Ormond Beach, FL
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2012, 16:16
JimmyAnonymous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flyingthedream,

I would think so, without trying to sound like an expert. Given that you all ready have a fair amount done then I gather you’ll just need those extra hours to bridge the gap and that amount of hours should be doable in the time.
As for flying back here, I’ve only had one flight (lesson) since, I’m left skint but other than being unfamiliar with the area and the RT I don’t feel there will be much trouble acclimatising.
I don’t know if you intend doing the exams before going but if you can manage I would suggest you do. I would have liked to have gone and just focused solely on getting to grips with all the manoeuvres and emergency checks so that the time in the air wasn’t wasted with what could have been taken care of on the ground. Any spare time, you can devote to the begging that you may be required to do to fly. I don’t believe that is necessarily the answer though, looking at EastMids’ hours brings a tear to my eye but I can’t help but thinking they must have been in the right place at the right time, I done my fair share of pushing but when there are no instructors to take you up there’s not much that can be done about that, I felt I did all I could. But yeah, the evidence speaks for itself that it's not impossible (just improbable), that’s the only justification I have for taking the gamble in the first place.
The aircraft, there are about 4 or 5 PA 28s and 2 C150s, I don’t think anyone has a nice thing to say about the Cessnas and are mainly used by hour builders if not entirely. The Pipers, I just don’t think there are enough per student but you can’t help grow to love them and I know I’m not alone on that. Condition wise I don’t have a lot to compare them to but they seem perfectly capable (the Pipers that is). Also not all instructors are eligible to fly the Cessna due to weight restrictions, there were only 2 when I was there and I think they also had the most students between them. That mixed in with their commitments with ‘College’ you’ll be hard pushed to get squeezed in to a reasonable schedule . That goes for the majority of the FIs but I have no hard feelings against them, they are just doing their thing but I feel that the amount of students coming and going should warrant the school to take control and hire more Full-Time FIs, I would expect nothing less really.

To get familiar with the radio calls listen to this, its Daytona not Ormond but Identical to what you'll need to be used to. Airport Detail: KDAB | LiveATC.net AND St. Augustine Airport Detail: KSGJ | LiveATC.net Which you'll do a couple of cross countries to

Anyway I’m a little bit jealous Flyingthedream, the fact you’re not starting from scratch I would think will work in your favour and I reckon you’ll get it no problem. You’ll certainly have your PPL before I do.

Last edited by JimmyAnonymous; 8th Aug 2012 at 15:24.