PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft Maitance Engineering
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2012, 15:38
capitaine flam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just as an additional note. Whether a BSc in aircraft maintenance engineering is worth 0 or not in the maintenance industry is quite irrelevant if your course is an accredited course by the RAeS or IET. Although in real terms the modules studied and passed are paramount for a maintenance license together with the experience, if you have an accredited BSc or BEng, you can move onto Masters and become an Incorporated or Chartered Engineer eventually in whichever engineering discipline you choose to specialize in. This gives you that extra route or career prospect to fall back on. Management jobs in maintenance organisations or Part M outfit are extremely well paid.

After speaking to a number of licensed engineers which I have come to know, and who are currently on that job, a number of them have said that by not having a degree, the prospect of promotion can be limited. And sometimes, after doing the same job for 20 or 30 years, some wouldn't have minded going up the ladder so to speak, for better salary.

But each to their own on this. It depends on what you want to do really. I like the idea of having both to fall back on: Licensed engineer as well as graduate engineer with a Masters under my belt for the future.