PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ashamed of aviation clothing?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2003, 09:37
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always thought the level of clothing 'pose' was inverse to the ability of the pilot at most flying clubs. The guy in the old jeans and holy pullover or oil-stained tatty flying suit is probably a highly experienced aeros ace, while the one wearing the navy sweater with gold wings and eppaulettes or immaculate flying suite with squadron badges etc. can just about master his C152 on a good day.

I once knew a guy who flew a Beach Muskateer (if you've never flown one - don't bother) who always wore an ex- military flying suite. One day we flew to Skegness (the old Ingoldmells airfield) and so finely honed were his skills that he flew an enourmouse circuit on arrival and lost sight of the field. By the time he'd located it again he was at about 45 degrees off the runway heading, so went-around. He repeated this feat of airmanship no fewer than 5 times before we actually landed, by which time a small audience had gathered by the clubhouse.

Before getting out of the aeroplane, he got out of his flying suite. "I don't want them all to know who was flying", he said. It was in vain, becuse we were already out and all pointing vigourously at him as we walked away from the Muskateer ;~))

SSD