PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stalling Negative G???
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2012, 10:58
Mark1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apologies - wasn't supposed to be confusing, or to make me look clever I felt that because the unit of acceleration is G (as in 1 gravity), and we were talking about orientation relative to 'earth' that might the source of confusion.

I failed to be explicit that the acceleration of the airframe is the the 'G' you feel in the cockpit, and that *is* what matters. It's not 'gravity', it's acceleration measured in G's. If you're at zero 'G' there's no acceleration, therefore you don't stall (most conviniently / clasically in the vertical, but..).

It's all about wing loading, however that's generated - the result of wing loading is the acceleration (G) you feel. I'm not sure if that's useful, or any more clear..

I suppose to me it's important because it explains that, no matter what is going on, you just have to 'fly the wing' and it will all work, no matter where the green/blue bits are.

Edit just to add to the OP: You're spot on with your last post, and you control the load on the wing with the elevator. Push 'gently' to zero and it can't stall, shove hard, it will.

Last edited by Mark1234; 7th Aug 2012 at 11:03.