PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another question from a fixed wing pilot.
Old 7th Aug 2012, 10:48
John Eacott

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Lancair70
Hi there, if you are an appropriately licenced helicopter pilot and either own or operate an aircraft privately, what rules and regs are there that say where you can and cannot land and takeoff from ? Quite obviously you have a lot more ability to land and take off where you want compared to fixed wing.

IE:, if I own my own helicopter, can I land and takeoff from my own property ?
I assume there would be similar considerations in determining if the site is suitable for helicopter ops, similar to fixed wing landing areas.
In particular Im interested in the rules pertaining to helicopter operations in Australia.

Andrew
Andrew,

NSW cities are difficult/impossible, country areas less so. Victoria is extremely difficult as a previous State Gummint mandated that heliports are deemed to require a planning permit: and heliport wasn't properly defined, so there have been numerous court battles on that alone! Other States are far less onerous. There is a CAAP which covers helipad specifications, as always it is 'Advisory' until the brown stuff hits and you haven't taken CASA's advice!

If you are planning on a regular operation it will be almost certain that an EIS will be called for by one authority or another, and that will be somewhere north of $A50k Movements per day/week may well be limited, but search Rotorheads and you'll find plenty of advice on setting up neighbourly pads. First requirement, take all of your neighbours for a flight, give a BBQ, anything to make sure that they'll support the planning application!

I still use my back paddock for landings, although development means it is done more to maintain the right than by need. After <30 years of landings, it helps to ensure that any newcomers are aware