PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is `promoting a flight` and the ANO?
Old 7th Aug 2012, 08:25
swflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is `promoting a flight` and the ANO?

Hi,

I'm really struggling with this definition of `advertising` for private flights in the ANO.

I am a enthusiastic pilot who also happens to be a web designer. I want to build a website that lists the most exciting flights I've been on with friends and then explains the trips in a nice way with pictures (I like building websites). It then lists how much it would cost if 3 of us were splitting the costs, or 4 of us etc, etc. I want to do this because generally I find that if I say to people `do you want to go flying?`, the give me blank expressions. If I say, `do you want to go to France because it's like this and we'll visit the shops and eat at this restaurant`, then they go yes please!!

So, I want to build a nice website that explains what is possible but where all we are doing is splitting the costs equally, as per the ANO.

Now, to make sure it's not a `public website`, which clearly would be in breach of the ANO, it would be behind a login system. I would only give a login password to my friends. If any member of the 'public' stumbled across it, they would simply get rejected by the system.

While in principle I can't see what's wrong with this, we are talking about the law here. In the ANO it says that you are only allowed to promote flights within a flying club. I have searched the web but I can't seem to find any clear definition of `flying club`? If my website is password protected and therefore only accessible by my friends, is that a `flying club`? or do I have to charge them £1 each to be a `member`?

The final point is that the ANO says it can only be promoted within the flying club's "premises". Well obviously this is 2012 and since the invention of websites does that mean that the website is the `premises`? After all, only my `members`/ my friends would be able to see the `promotion`.

Any thoughts on this because it just seems crazy that the only way you are allowed to entice friends with the excitement of flights is by doing a masonic style handshake and a nod-nod-wink-wink? I want to enjoy flying

Many thanks for your thoughts.