PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aussie MRH-90
Thread: Aussie MRH-90
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2012, 00:16
emergov

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Make Do

BR71,

I am interested in your comments that 'Can Do' and 'Make it Work' are inadvisable attitudes and realms of endeavour.

Your contribution to the ADF, the creation of the 'Bushranger' gunship was an excellent example of 'Making it Work'. You were supplied with a piece of equipment that did not do what you wanted it to, and the readily available, US-engineered alternatives were rejected. You and your team assembled and tested an indigenous gunship configuration for Huey, and then allowed the system to catch up later with certification and AAP amendments. Can Do? I think so.

I believe what slow n low is after is a bit of that aggressive engineering approach where the ADF makes decisions to hasten capability outcomes without necessarily requesting permission from the manufacturer (and waiting, and paying).

The reason why Army overflew maintenance capacity in the early 90's was mainly because the underlying support wasn't there. RAAF may well have fallen into the same situation, and may or may not have curtailed rate of effort. As you say, they didn't manage it with CH-47C, and arguably also mismanaged F-111 towards its end of life, if hours and availability are any measure.

You continue to make mis-statements about the aims of Air 9000. MRH90 is a direct replacement for Black Hawk and Sea King. It lifts about the same, it carries about the same number of people, and is meant to do the same thing. It is a Utility Helicopter, the same as a Black Hawk. Chinook is our medium lifter.

You are on the money about light utility though, getting rid of Huey was not smart.