PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Debit card transaction
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2012, 22:17
Ds3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets take a step back for a second here.

Firstly, my personal view is in keeping with stikandrudderman's. I look after all incoming funds for a (non-aviation) company with a business to business turnover of around £70m a year. I charge 2.5% for credit card payments, and nothing for debit cards. The slight loss on debit cards is off set by a very slight gain on credit cards.

Secondly, I think you need to revisit your calculations. 2% of £15 is 30p. Not 0.3p. As stated above, it can cost anywhere between 10p and 50p to take a debit card payment dependant on your banking facilities, and that's not taking in to account the monthly fees. So no, they aren't making a massive profit on the charges, nor are they a total rip off. But furthermore, OFT? For the sake of 20p? Is that really the best use of your time? If you don't like it, don't go there...

For the record, I have no association with Barton whatsoever. I also don't support the charging of fees for debit card payments. But I do understand why others may feel the need to pass proportionate charges on to their customer, depedant on what payment method the customer choses to use - the choice is yours, carry cash and you won't be charged. If you don't like it, blame the banks, not the companies who are being hit by extortionate bank charges when times are already hard enough...

Last edited by Ds3; 7th Aug 2012 at 08:32.