PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vr > V2
Thread: Vr > V2
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2012, 21:40
john_tullamarine

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
That makes the difference in level of sophistication between airbus and boeing

That may be quite true - I have a background on Boeing only.

However, in the case where the energy balance isn't quite going your way then your statement

That's pretty much all one can do with full thrust (my correction of the presumed typo)

clearly is not correct. The use of an overspeed margin provides more energy to trade and greater energy overall ... with a better probability of survival.

No need to increase VR Alpha Prot simply doesn't allow airbus to stall in case of full stcik back and that's what we do in case needed

No doubt in my mind that that is a wonderful tool. However, the aim of the game is to miss the ground so not stalling is only part of the equation. Presuming that the critical obstacle were not very close in, the extra knots still provide the better option in my mind.

It comes down to a case of risk assessment and management. Nothing wrong with the basic philosophy but the use of a few more knots, especially if the runway is not critically close in obstacle limited .. just might make the difference between a few beers more than usual in the bar that night .. or not needing the beers at all.