View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2012, 21:35
RetiredF4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Another read i could find concerning Loss of Control in Flight
Training Foundations and Solutions

Some bits out of it:

What Changed: Uncovering the Problem
Part of the predicament has nothing to do with LOC-I at all; in fact it is the reduction of other accident causes that left LOC-I as one of the last remaining causal factors to be “tamed”. To be clear, the overall number of accidents and fatalities due to LOC-I have not been increasing. It is the improvement in other accident categories that has resulted in the emergence of LOC-I as the leading cause of fatal accidents in air transportation worldwide. It’s as if when the “swamp” of the aviation accident pool was drained of other causal factors, the “snakes” of LOC-I were exposed. It is only in the past five years that LOC-I has overtaken Controlled Flight Into Terrain (CFIT) as the leading fatal accident category among airline
aircraft worldwide. While other accident areas have improved, LOC-I has stagnated at an unacceptable rate.

The lack of improvement in LOC-I is evidenced by it’s relative contribution to the overall fatality rate. From the period of 2001 to 2008, LOC-I experienced a 29% increase in the contribution of this category
towards the overall fatal accident rate. For the ten year period ending in 2008 the next closest accident category was CFIT, at 20% (roughly one half of LOC-I fatalities).

Loss of Control in Flight as a percentage
of Overall Fatalities:
Year percentage
2001 30.4%
2006 30.6%
2008 39.5%
The Relative Threat: Higher risk, less effective training
To get a perspective on whether or not we should be concerned about a reduction in all-attitude experience in the cockpits of the world’s airliners, we will examine the relative statistical threat of a fatal accident from several categories of accidents.

The worldwide chances of an LOC-I death by comparison to other accident categories

Runway Excursion (Combined Take Off & Landing): x 2.3
Non-engine systems failure: x 5.6
Runway Incursion (By a Vehicle, Aircraft, or Person) : x 9.1
Engine Failure: x 879.5