PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 9
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2012, 15:31
CONF iture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HN39
Is it possible that a pilot sees the IAS drop from 274 kt to 52 kt in a matter of seconds, and not consider the IAS to be unreliable?
But do we know what IAS2 was displaying ... ?

The last time we did practice a scenario of UAS at low level, the initial clue that something was wrong came under the warning : WINDSHEAR WINDSHEAR WINDSHEAR
My airspeed was getting in the red, which made sense to me in case of windshear.
As per SOP my call was "WINDSHEAR TOGA" which implies to follow the FD, not to turn them OFF.
That's only when I heard the instructor word : "eh guys ..." that I took a quick look at the other PFD and could remember that one of the exercises for the day was UAS not WINDSHEAR ... The appropriate call was then only made : "UNRELIABLE SPEED"

This is how things can get confusing sometimes.

Originally Posted by IcePack
It is not being addressed in training as their are no algorithm's in the sims for high altitude handling. ( most only up to 14000ft) which risks negative training.
This is not so much about the handling, but how the avalanche of warnings can just mean that : UAS, and how the energy of the PF should go on maintaining a normal pitch attitude for cruise and the energy of the PNF should go on the monitoring the PF performance. The only actions the PNF could perform would be to kill the FD and set the thrust at a normal thrust setting for cruise.

All the concentration and energy on aviate - This is not necessarily easy as the multiple warnings don't seem to stop.

This could be like suddenly switching from a walk in the park to seat in a formula one at 300 km/h