PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Demise of Hong Kong Airlines
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2012, 15:01
Algol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKA is owes 10's of millions of dollars, hasn't ever been profitable, just deeper in debt,...
To who?
HAECO?

So you say. That is a matter of dispute I believe.

And which airline ever made a profit in the first two and a half years of operations? Only 1 that I can think of. A mould breaker in the business, I'm sure you'd agree, and know to whom I refer.

...the government has restricted the "growth" if we can call it that,...
I'd call 0 widebodies to 20 units in 30 months spectacular growth! What would you call it?

....and the flagship route has been cancelled.
Back to the knitting then.
Additionally, Aircraft are not being cleaned, a move to outer bays has been initiated to attempt to save money, and flights within Asia are routinely cancelled at the last minute.
Hurricanes, ATC delays, HKIA protectionism, and state dictated anti-business practices. Its a wonder anything ever gets off the ground in HKG except the Cartel airlines as far as I can see. This BS would be ILLEGAL in a liberalised Western country.

A picture of a healthy airline it is not. Hanian may or may not decide to keep pouring cash into HKA. Neither myself or anyone else knows that (including you).
Its a picture of a company that is expanding rapidly, and in which the staff and management are struggling manfully to keep pace. Why not ask - who dictates that pace? Focus your criticism there if you will.

But if I had to pay for a flight, why would I risk paying HKA? Who knows when the plug will get pulled. ALGOL didn't even hear about the LGW till 4 days after word spread to others in HK.
Mate, I saw the same thing happen with a certain small LoCo carrier in Europe. Its now one of the top three airlines in Europe. The politicians got off its back and broke a Cartel, just like the one in HKG. The rest is history. You should keep praying the same doesn't happen here, or you might not like the consequences for your own (Government protected) job.

Last edited by Algol; 6th Aug 2012 at 15:08.