PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stalling - Help & Advice
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2012, 12:08
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry, still have to disagree, someone well trained in flying near the stall will first off recognise this much more readily and and be very likely to avoid getting into the situation in the first place, but if they should end up in an inadvertent stall/incipient spin, reactions will likely be there to recover instinctively
Well said.

It is about instinctive, possibly even reflexive actions. As soon as the airframe stops responding in the normal manner to control inputs, the initial, almost unconscious reaction must be to reduce the angle of attack. Diagnosis of the actual event can follow later.

Totally disagree with this recognising incipient stalls is nothing new or groundbreaking pilots of old who were trained beyond incipient were equally aware of an impending stall !! Just better equipt to dealing with anything that developed beyond incipient!
I'd agree with the second part, not always with the first. Training people in "here's a stalled aircraft, now recover it", "show me some stalls and recoveries" or "talk me through the symptoms of the stall and recovery" is missing the point - it's too late by then. Better to tell someone to fly just above the stall while manoeuvring the aircraft - you'll soon see whether they have the required skills/instincts or not. I'd thought the whole idea was to train someone NOT to depart from controlled flight, not to demonstrate how good they are at losing it, law of primacy and all that?