PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What’s the rule about luggage under the seat in front of you?
Old 6th Aug 2012, 10:07
WHBM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by t1grm
I have a standard size carry on. I thought the whole point of this is that it fits in an overhead locker (end on) and fits under the seat in front of you. ...... It fitted snugly but perfectly .....The excuse was that it stuck out past the end of the metal bar. It did stick out about 3 inches but it was flush against the front of the metal bar and is a standard size (22 inches IIRC). What is the point in having a standard size which is then too big to fit?
Human beings don't come in one standard size, and neither do aircraft or their baggage provision, either overhead or under the seat. Likewise for manufacturers of "standard" luggage their job in life is to sell their luggage. They probably don't know one end of an aircraft from the other (and certainly don't if they pretend there is some standard, 22 inches or anything else).

Fortunately there are people at the airline, not the bag manufacturer, who do understand about both dimensions of baggage etc, and safety factors, and spend quite some time defining limitations, while still being reasonable to their paying customer passengers, which limitations they then train their cabin crew in. Please take advantage of this. Contrary to much belief, cabin crew do not receive commission from the bag handler for each piece of baggage they reorganise.

I still don't understand how within one paragraph the bag transmorphed from "fitted snugly but perfectly" to "stick out about 3 inches". You also don't say if you were sitting in a window seat (nobody to go past you), centre or aisle seat (where two people alongside may have to negotiate past your protruding bag in smoke conditions). Given the high density seating on Easyjet, 3 inches is a significant proportion of the space available to those passengers to pass between the seats.

I don't believe Easyjet charge when they take bags off passengers and put them in the hold, so what is the issue with doing that ?