PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA Cadet Pilot - All Batches, Merged
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2012, 06:31
SingaporeAirlines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simply put I find it rather ridiculous that countries with smaller populations than us and larger aviation fleets than Singapore can find their own to fly their planes and we need to go to 3rd World Countries to pay 3rd World Educated cadets to fly our latest Boeings and Airbuses.

Maybe you guys would like to know why I am so against these people flying for our national carrier.

I too was once a young chap like you guys many years back. Tried applying for the SIA Cadet Program many times. In my 6th attempt, they called me for my 1st interview. Failed. Tried again. This time went to the 2nd interview and failed and was told there is no point applying again.

Went to New Zealand and did the Massey program and got my CPL/MECIR. Tried to get into SIA again and failed. All this whilst SIA was taking in Malaysians, Indians and HKers by the boatload and here I was a born and brought up 5th Gen Singaporean Malay getting rejected.

No attitude to be a commercial pilot you say?

I went on to banner-towing for a while and flying small twin otters in Papau New Guinea and was eventually given a gig on a King Air 350. One thing led to another and I was offered my first jet job in a Bruneian outfit flying Learjets.

Now I am happily employed by a small company in the region flying Gulfstream G550s.

My life was not easy. I had the determination and passion and went against all odds to achieve it.

If maybe even one of the interviews had seen that I could have saved my parents' precious life savings and gotten a job with SIA. But no.

Anyway all's well that ends well and I am living a content life now.

But not every Singaporean who has taken the path less travelled is lucky. Just saying.

Happy Landings.