PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - uni/degree pilot training
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2012, 19:23
Scott Duch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just done 3 years of Aero at Glasgow and can tell you it's a fantastic university. The teaching staff are extremely knowledgeable and do a really good job and teaching the various modules.

My dream was always to become a pilot but when I finished secondary school (June 2009) there simply wasn't any jobs or schemes such as BA FPP or Aer Lingus and thus financially, it wasn't a smart move. I went to university thinking the degree in Aero may help in areas (aspects of Flight Mechanics) and also the general life experience living away from home and having to do things such as your own food shopping and washing. Sounds odd but it's all things future employers may look out for as well as the degree required.

The degree was tough and a great challenge but that's what attracted me to the course. But having applied for the BA FPP, Aer Lingus and the FTE MPL scheme and getting right to the final stages in them all, my motivation for engineering declined somewhat knowing I had what it takes to train as a pilot and that the airlines saw great potential in me by forwarding my application through the various stages.

During May of this year I applied to the new CTC/Flybe course and having been invited to the next stages of selection my preparation for the CTC day was greater than the preparation I did for my exams.

Thankfully, I was one of the lucky 6 selected and having passed my summer exams, I now have a BSc in Aero with distinction. It's not accredited and nor can it get you in respectful engineering job but in the end I just had to follow the dream and take this fantastic opportunity with Flybe and CTC.

Some may say I wasted 3 years with university but I have no regrets - there were many experiences I had during uni life that allowed my to shine during the interviews with Flybe and CTC and even some of my 3rd year flight mechanics (taught my India Mike) allowed me to impress the pilot interviewing me on the technical aspects of flying.

My view is that if you really have a passion for engineering go ahead and go for it. But if you have a bigger desire to fly then don't go down the university path, the degree is so demanding that if you're heart just isn't in it any more, you won't do well.

Hopefully this is useful to you coming from someone who was once in your position.