PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Once a pilot - now a computer's sidekick
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2012, 16:37
DOVES

DOVE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Next step?

I finally figured out ; my mood is “Bodhi”.
Thanks to a former colleague of mine (he was my co-pilot, and is now on AB330 FO) who told me: "You are an old pilot."
I became aware of my state: I am a Pterosaur.
Why scramble to teach how to prevent a stall, or how to come out of it?
Modern aircraft do not stall!
Why you should warn the students from spin, what makes it different from the spiral, the way to establish unequivocally the sense in which the aircraft is turning.
What use to teach drawing in the ether precise climb / descent at a constant rate simultaneously performing standard turns.
The automatics do it better.
And then to instruct how to imagine their position in space according to the indication of some Needle.
How to acquire and maintain a QDM or QDR, or to capture a radial, to what end?
Double drift in some holding entry, the triple in a certain leg to maintain it; dollar yes or dollar no!?. All this is best done by automation, and well-designed, in real-time on the screen of N. D. set on MAP.
Why warning: "dead foot: dead engine ..." or "foot chases ball…"
On modern aircraft yaw caused by engine failure is automatically corrected.
Why to check often during the descent that the distance remaining multplied 3 gives the actual altitude in order to avoid to arrive long and / or fast, for this there is the Vertical Nav.
Why to memorize attitudes and powers for (flight turbulence), for the initial, intermediate and final approach with all engines and with One Engine Inoperative and their corrections for weight, P.A and wind.
The A. T. maintains very well the speed needed for each and every occasion.
Why to point out that to maintain the glide rather than chasing the VSI, the secret is to make small changes to the attitude and power, that the locator displacement has not to be chased but prevented, by calculating and changing constantly and almost imperceptibly the heading according to the cross-wind component:
so even if we disconnect the A. P. there is the F / D, and then there is the Flight Path Vector, that will make those calculations before and better than us.
Why to do the Alt. Check & x-check at the FAF, FAP, we checked the FMS immediately after entering the STAR.
We can even build any type of instrument / visual approach and a circuit with PB, PBD or the coordinates of significant points to which we can associate altitude and speed.
Next step?
Guess what?