PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Experience commensurate with age"- does it still exist in Australia?
Old 5th Aug 2012, 15:04
Gearupandorrf

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
"Experience commensurate with age"- does it still exist in Australia?

Hey guys and girls,

I'm just getting back into the industry after a long time away due to personal/ family reasons.

Fortunately, I've been able to get a good job in Flight Ops/ Dispatch at "a major Australian Airline" and have been using my shift work to advantage by knocking off the ATPL's and IREX which I'll have completed soon.

For those on the wrong side of 35 with <500hrs, have any of you experienced age discrimination at any levels of the Industry when looking for flying work?

For instance-
For an entry level job- have you ever been overlooked in favour of the younger candidate?

For an Airline job (here in Australia)- have any of you ever been turned down for a job by the old "experience commensurate with age" equation? With the advent of candidates having to fund (or be bonded) for their Type Ratings- does such a policy still exist here in Australia (officially or otherwise)?

The reason for asking is that I'm trying to build a realistic expectation of what I might be able to acheive in my career. My current Airline employer is going to do what it can to get me flying once I've finished the last of my training, but I'm also looking at contingency plans for just in case.

Finally, I can't express how excited I am to be working towards a flying career again. After years of feeling it wouldn't be possible due to circumstance, I can't tell you all how good it feels to be working towards a dream and something that feels so right to be doing.

Your advice and opinions are most welcome.

Cheers,
Gearup.