PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 report out
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2012, 14:38
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Machinbird, when I first learned to roll, I input aileron until I reached the roll angle I wanted, then I had to reverse the aileron, to stop the roll. That established the angle, and I turned.

When Bonin first pulled up, to correct the descent left over from autoflight, he would have had to do the same? Push, to stop the Nose from rising further?

Because what I see in your well developed essays on PIO, I see also in Pitch, Bonin seemed never to have sussed the Pitch he had commanded from the very first. His Pitch, though averaging UP, also fluctuated, and he seemed as behind the aircraft in Roll. He did not arrest his original input, and the aircraft ended up seeking what it determined was his command, an average of UP.

His lack of response to Horizon is unexplained.

Relative to Dozy and his Stick fascination, I submit that seeing the stick is not necessary, and in fact, not helpful, to the other pilot. Where the stick is positioned likely has no relation to the command, each command must be bumped, rebumped, and bumped again, to get the command first to show, then to arrest, then to check the proper instrument to determine where the aircraft ended up.

Likewise your comment on the history of each bump, it is impossible to know, and even if known, cannot immediately be linked to aircraft response. Now holding the stick in a position might offer some info, but unlessJ there is a focus established by the observing pilot, he will not know the relationship of the stick to the attitude.

The stick does not convey the correct information, unless it is followed, and Studied,

As to the timing of each bump, it appears it is a process of guesswork, bump and suss, bump and suss....

It seems that the Bus demands complete focus of the pilot to not only make inputs, but to analyze and reanalyze their effects, on a continuous basis, who has time to peep the panel?

Wherever the yoke remains, that is what it is doing, it is not forward, back, neutral, forward, whilst the pilot susses out what it is accomplishing?

Last edited by Lyman; 5th Aug 2012 at 14:47.