PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - iPad experience and choices
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2012, 13:31
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although I have resisted an iPad so far I have to say that the iPad running Skydemon is a far superior moving map product than anything else on the market and for £500 or so you can't beat it.

In fact so much so that we're doing what a lot of other people are doing and that is making space on the right of our panel to mount a 3G iPad. This will enable us to download weather data (real time radar for example) on the ground and maybe at low level and also file flight plans direct from SD. The mapping is brilliant and overlays the Notams etc onto your map...

You can run various apps on the table like backup AI's (HUD - does iPad have a Gyro like the Morotola Xoom ?) etc...which could get you out of trouble in a bad situation. As these tablets are so thin, it is no problem to mount a clip in dock to the front of the panel so no worries with regards aircraft mods. We're having some avionics work done at the moment and getting stuff shifted around on the RHS and a PSU wired in ready for the ipad.

I am an Android person really and wish SD was available for my Motorola Xoom as I'd rather have that on the panel as it contains gyro and barometric altimeter.