PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - iPad experience and choices
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2012, 10:41
InfraBoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Further Afield

I'm currently studying my ATPL Groundschool with Pro Pilot (excellent people and learning books through iPad) so bought myself a secondhand iPad 1 32gb 3G to study through. Well now it runs Air Nav Pro and I've just flown around France in many varying types of weather from 500' up to FL75 with it mounted on a cheap car windscreen mount (stable up to 2.5G!) and it performed faultlessly. Sure at 30 degrees plus in cockpit temps it would occasionally shut down for a few minutes but it's not the primary nav aid now is it?!

I also have sky demon lite on it as my home base is within the RZ and yes sky demon is very good but I just prefer having a real moving map.

I would have gone to Runway HD had i been told they were developing it when I asked them in Feb but since they didn't tell me I went with Air Nav. Now I'm not saying for a moment that it is better than the others as it certainly is no where near as good as Sky Demon for Flt planning but it's also on my iPhone (free duplicate) as backup or additional should I (for example) want an ADF in the cockpit. It has relegated my Aware Plus to backup and the aircrafts side pocket. Although for small cockpits or aerobatics I'll keep the aware in my pocket as it fits nicely into the flying suit knee board.

I use aeroweather for met (air nav also gives met) and RocketRoute for flight plans and plates. I print my plates and those of my divs for my trip ref file (A5) and load them all plus any other likely ones onto rocketroute on iPad.

Yes iPad is poor in direct sunlight but you don't really need to figure out where you are when you can see everywhere now do you?! But when the weather is getting worse and your manuvering you're in the shade and it's a fantastic tool for continual SA. And the battery will always outlast the Aware etc.