PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2012, 05:59
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Savoian Reminiscences

Michael Vincent O'Brien was an Irish race horse trainer from Churchtown, County Cork, in the Republic of Ireland. In 2003 he was voted the greatest influence in horse racing history and was previously voted the most accomplished trainer of national hunt and flat-racing horses.

He trained six winners of the Epsom Derby, was twice British Champion Trainer, won three Grand Nationals (in succession) and trained the only British Triple Crown winner since World War II - to name but a handful of his many achievements.

Vincent was a wonderful, respectable man who just happened to always carry a paper bag full of chocolate bars whenever he flew and which, as a youngster, greatly endeared me to him! He treated me with kindness (because this was his nature and also because he had great respect for my godfather). On those rare occasions when there were too many passengers for me to join him and the Colonel aboard the Ranger he would tell me to drive his blue BMW (which he would leave at the helipad) back to the main house and to return with it on his arrival .. and this despite the fact that I was well below the legal age for driving. But .. it was always great fun as I did far more flying than I did driving!

He would often go for walks with his two black Labradors (whose names now escape my memory) and, when doing so, would frequently pass by the pilot's house to see if I wanted to accompany him and which offer I never refused. He spoke very little and I remember one time we concluded a lengthy walk after which he said "thank you" and which had been his only words since collecting me! I guess he enjoyed seeing me playing with the dogs along the gallops .. or that he was simply occupied with his thoughts!

I visited Ballydoyle (Vincent O'Brien's home and training stables) during several school holidays over a two year period and it was during that time that my love of flat racing was born (I was already a horse-lover and keen rider at school). Vincent's passion for horses was almost as infectious as my godfather's love of flying and if there is such a thing as a 'horse whisperer' then Vincent was certainly such a one. His ability was that of being able to read the silent communications of each of his horses, their various expressions such as a flick of the tail, a stamp of the foot, the movement of their ears and eyes .. it all meant something to him and the horses for their part seemed to 'sense' they were being 'read' whenever he was about. This connection between man and beast was something I had never before witnessed (and I am obviously discounting pets here) and it fascinated me.

As Vincent was working his magic with the horses I would be spell-bound simply watching him! On more than one occasion when one of his priceless thoroughbreds was misbehaving prior to being taken on a run, Vincent would walk over to the beast (which would have one of the stable jockeys atop) and place his hand on the animal's nose, or .. sometimes .. just look into beast's eyes and the creature would visibly calm down. It was (as least for me as a wee lad) incredible.

Regarding his helicopter; Vincent had a Bell JetRanger, the first Mk III in the Republic, EI-BFK. BFK began life as N50005, one of the first JetRanger III's off Bell's production line. In 1978 she was shipped-off to Russia where she contributed as part of the US team in the World Helicopter Championships which were held in Vitebsk in July of that year. After the championships she was flown to the UK where, in August, CSE swapped-out her 'shorts' for 'pop-outs'. She then attended Farnborough in September and was, to the best of my knowledge, the first Bell (as opposed to Agusta-Bell) 206B III in the UK.

Prior to Farnborough Irish Helicopters had contacted CSE declaring their interest in acquiring a new JetRanger on behalf of their client (Vincent O'Brien). Immediately after Farnborough (and still wearing her 'stars and stripes' livery from the WHC) N50005 was flown to Dublin where she was promptly re-registered as EI-BFK and her American flag and 'USA' livery sprayed-over. (However .. every time you opened the boot you could see where the 'stars and stripes' had once been .. lol!).

Vincent O'Brien, Ballydole and Tipperary shall forever retain a special place in my heart.

The late great Vincent O'Brien (1917-2009) at Ballydoyle Stables near Cashel in Co. Tipperary

Approaching Ballydoyle with the southern gallops and water tower in view

A youthful Savoia dismounts Vincent O'Briens Bell 206B JetRanger III EI-BFK at Ballydoyle Stables in 1980. We are clearly back from the races (most likely The Curragh or Leopardstown) as I am still wearing the racing badge