PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwegian media reporting RNoAF Hercules missing
Old 5th Aug 2012, 04:05
roaldp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Voice recorder found, seems intact

Hercules plane's black box found at Kebnekaise

Mystery of the Norwegian Hercules plane that crashed against Kebnekaise is heading for its resolution, Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet reports.
On Saturday morning, the Army's Hunter Battalion found one of the plane's two black boxes, namely the Cockpit Voice Recorder.
"I saw something orange sticking up from the snow," says mountain guide Carl-Johan Olofsson.
Searching operation has been paused until snow melts, and summer has been unusually late in the area this year.

The Norwegian military plane crashed against Sweden's highest mountain, Kebnekaise, on March 15. All five crew members on board were killed.
The Army's Hunting battalion resumed search one week ago together with police and the Investigation Board.

"It's a very steep terrain where you have to lower yourself down with ropes to get anywhere," says Carl-Johan Olofsson.

Found in the snow
At 11 o'clock AM on Saturday the tough work gave results.
The plane's "voice recorder" was found on a steep field. Olofsson says the finding place is only a hundred meters from the crash point - where the Hercules was smashed to pieces.
"Pure coincidence made me see it sticking up from the snow. When I dug it up, I immediately saw the print with Voice Recorder on the device," says Carl-Johan Olofsson.
The device will be stored safely at the police station in Kiruna until it is sent for analysis to the English Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB).
The analysis is expected to take a week and may give vital answers.

Original report in Swedish here:
Herculesplanets svarta låda hittad vid Kebnekaise | Nyheter | Aftonbladet

Last edited by roaldp; 5th Aug 2012 at 04:10. Reason: Lay-out