PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aussie MRH-90
Thread: Aussie MRH-90
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2012, 02:08
slow n low

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok it seems this debate needs a revival. Aside from the current state of ARH, the MRH project seems to be on the go slow (again). My information suggests AAVN will try to stretch the life of S-70 until the 2018-2019 timeframe. My concern is that the S-70 in its current form is becoming a basket case in itself. The GPS replacement is problematic in its current form. The genius(s) who decided to degrade the functionality (no nav database?) should try operating them; I for one have no trust in the integrity of the system after being left in the lurch right when I needed it. The mixed fleet with up to 4 cockpit configs is just a headache. Mission planning is becoming un-wieldy and ultimately degrades the end product. Duplicating everything to account for the mixed fleet is wasted effort.

Yes, we will (and do) “suck it up”, but seriously, the “just make it work” mantra is getting old. The reality is S-70 along with Chinook will remain the backbone of the lift fleet for the foreseeable future. MRH (so we are told) will be a great platform…when it gets here. Great, bring it on and we will make it work, because that’s what we do. The reality for MRH appears to be a never ending slide to the right, with no capability to speak of.

Maybe it’s time to revisit UH60M? Or at the very least admit the S-70 needs a little more attention to see the old girl through. The customer still wants a capability; the bandaid fix will not work for another 6-7 years. It’s time to make some difficult decisions.

BTW, I am not a one eyed fan of “mike model”. I am a fan of being able to get the job done with a bit of kit that lets us just get on with it, whatever that happens to be.