PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 9
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2012, 22:46
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hiya TD..

Do you not mean "Detent"? Indent is new to me. I think you think I mean
The crew were boffins, now really, I've never met a pilot who is also a boffin.
My meaning was the procedure that should have been followed were created by boffins....

Now as to descent, it is something pilots do at least once every flight, and not too terribly scary...my comment centered round the need to stabilize things, after UAS. Tis easier to stabilize when systems are not maxed out, which for me gets my attention, and I do not need extra worry at this time, UAS?

I have seven miles below me, and as far as 447 was concerned, they had only a half mile UP...push everything to max and what, then worry immediately when to stop? Why not consider UAS an impromptu TOD? Stabilize in a shallow descent, and start trouble shooting... ICE might be a wild card as to AoA vanes, but in truth, don't you think a shallow descent at idle might work, if not, then 60? If fuel is an issue, you may not be ETOPS compliant in the first place, and .....? Now I know you will say, but they need only five degrees, and 100 percent, or a bit less, but isn't it more judicious to demand less of the airframe and engines whilst troubleshooting? Less chance of the "crazy speed?" if one can find five, can one find 0? It brackets cruise AoA?

Let me mention by way of comparison the work around for engine roll back at cruise? Losing power in both engines in a twin is seemingly a bit more worrisome, unless I misunderstand the aces present here....UAS a breeze, a 300 ton glider over the Rockies is...more stressful? Descend, you'll be descending anyway.... Didn't some of the prior crews experiencing UAS decide to descend?

Last edited by Lyman; 4th Aug 2012 at 22:53.