PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stalling - Help & Advice
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2012, 20:43
stiknruda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A CONFESSION

FB1971

I learnt to fly in the RAF in the late 70's and then had a 10 year break before I obtained my civvy licence in 92 in a small African country. I aced groundschool & exams, amazed my instructor(ess) with my Nav and did really well in the circuit (hardly surprising really given my not revealed past!). She'd send me off solo for GH - just practice steep turns and stalls as you need to build the hours to qualify for the licence!

I was Łucking terrified of steep turns and stalls ON MY OWN- I don't know what caused this terror! I'd take off from her crop-dusting strip and head off to the nearest cloud and hide behind it, so she couldn't see me! After gentle wingovers and lots of Avgas being burnt, I'd head back and land. Oh it went well Lindsay, I'd say as I filled in the log. I passed my GFT as the examiner sat next to me and I knew he'd not let me kill him!

A few months later I flew with Dennis Spence and he suggested a couple of hours in his Pitts (The Smirnoff Team in Jo'burg). I flew with Rehan VT and VT (a former Silver Falcon and instructor (SAAF's Red Arrows)) explained stalling, spinning so clearly that the knowledge began to dispel the fear.

So my point is - if you are frightened, tell your instructor - if he/she can't help - change instructors!!

Stik

Blog

Dennis features in a recent blog!