PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 9
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2012, 18:52
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the sense early on that no one had a grip on UAS, that every man jack was taking a stab at some solution....de jour. No airline, no manufacturer, no one...

The chronology was squishy, but no one has come up with any au courant syllabus that would have helped our friends that morning...

That is not cute, but when it came out that the levels of skill in high altitude manual were rock bottom, that is strike two...

After 36 close calls, finally a strike out...Not unexpected. As time went on, the standard defense of ownership of the problem becam ad nominee, repeated ad absurdum.

I have talked to many line pilots in the past three years, and though they don't know what happened, they don't take the PPRuNe attitude either.

TTex, my next door neighbor flew the 320 for ten years for the American counterpart of the legacy. He shared with me a lot of what I hear from you...
He loved the a/c, and he never had a hiccup in ten years, what's not to love?

On another note, he confessed a low level of familiarity with Alternate Law, and he had never heard of alternate Law, 2b....Don't get me wrong, this guy retired off the triple 7, and his skill was at the highest level. He was being honest, and said he would not want to face the issues 447 had, and he had some nice things to say about the AF crew that did not make it. He essentially said no one would ever know exactly what happened, and he couldn't make the call on what appeared to have happened.

Why is it the system calls everything so close? Two more weeks and the probes would have been changed out, six months more and Qantas A380 doesn't lose an engine to explosion, etc. Ba 038 was a Luckymiss, etc.

Things were coming around to a solid solution for UAS, but it seems one or two get sacrificed to the razors edge, and lazy greed.....

"The key to preventing another such accident isn't in designing a better set of laws, etc, it's in designing a better way to show the crew what's truly happening."

.......TTex600

Says it all...

Last edited by Lyman; 4th Aug 2012 at 18:57.