PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 9
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2012, 18:30
TTex600

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lyman
HN.... Why would the boffins select a climb, at all, in the first place? If one is in that narrow band of a/s, seems like given the record, higher airspeed might be worth the risk, rather than a climb into the lid, a risk of STALL, or power and lift ceilings being passed, as 447 did? She maxed at 38K, and got their in a flash, so why not 0 degrees and no power increase, or even a reduction in Thrust.
Poor training. As I've stated more than once on this topic, my training was no better. What I know on this topic was gleaned almost entirely after AF447. My line's training dept did add the UAS scenario after 447, but it focused more on the lengthy procedure to identify suspect ADR's than flying or recognizing UAS.

A thorough reading of the UAS procedure in my FCOM shows that one should level off for troubleshooting when above circuit alt or MSA. The memory pitch and power settings no longer apply for level flight.

Which brings us back to the obvious. They never recognized UAS. They weren't trying to climb.

The key to preventing another such accident isn't in designing a better set of laws, etc, it's in designing a better way to show the crew what's truly happening.