PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2012, 18:28
Danny42C

DFCP,

All the USAAC Pilot and (I think) Navigator and Bombardier "Aviation Cadets" were commissioned as 2nd Lieutenants at the end of their six-month Course. The other aircrew trades were mostly "Enlisted Men" (all Sergeants ?), but there were some Officers among them.

As to the RCAF, I am not so sure (there were RCAF Sergeant-Pilots and Observers), but my impression was that the % who were commissioned at "Wings" point was much higher than the RAF's 20-25%. The same appeared to me to be true of the RAAF and RNZAF.

Out in India, VJ day made considerable numbers of NCO aircrew of all trades surplus to requirements; the RAF continued to pay them in accordance with their rank, but employed them as MT Drivers, Clerks and Storemen, etc, until their "Demob Number" came up and they could be returned to the UK. Other ranks were likewise "kicking their heels" in large numbers, discipline suffered and the well publicised "mutinies" occurred, mainly in the northern cities . I believe this "misemployment" went on in the UK, too.

As for demob in the UK, could your place have been Padgate? - that rings some sort of bell with me. And the "Vanguard" - would that be the one whose loss was due to pressure bulkhead corrosion from toilet effluent leakage?

You and your pal seemed to have had a commendable degree of initiative in making the best of service life - and your instinct to "destroy the evidence" was very sound. It has saved many far more guilty than you!

You're quite right about the "last three" on Pay Parade. Whatever else you forget in life, you'll never forget them!

Cheers,

Danny.
====

Petet,

The Link sounds interesting. Will have a look (don't think it will alter my opinion).

Thanks,

Danny.
====