PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CB / TS - during approch and landing
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2012, 16:53
stator vane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
-2 degree 80 and 40 mile range.

I have developed a method of working the radar that requires constant changes in range and angle. There is no one set angle or distance. With a -2 degree, and a 40 mile range any return that continues inside the 30 of less range needs to be considered. working with the angle, never really staying at one angle with valid threats around, one can get a rough idea of what is ground return and what isn't. Much can be added with vision during the flashes of light and short term memory situational mental mapping. And a regular change of angle to -1 and the 80 or 160 mile range will prevent proceeding into a dead end valley of storms.

And I also change the settings from auto to min and max to get a well rounded summary of returns when in the battle.

And as an aside, I have noticed quite a difference in the various radar returns on different aircraft, even those supposedly with the same radar. Some appear to over read when in auto.

And another thing I have done...when new to an area...even when cavok, I turn the radar on and learn what the local terrain looks like on the radar screen for future reference.

There have been times over the gulf of Mexico on flights between puerto rico and costa rica, when there were virtual walls of storms through which we had to thread needles with the radar on the closest range possible, with an occasional scan out further to make a longer range plan. Just last month we had a similar night over Austria in which the controller had everyone separated via flight levels and he told us to manuever as required and only call when clear to return to flight plan path...the frequency was jammed with heading changes.

The two videos...I would not have made that approach and landing unless I had already used up all my fuel and had no other options. The other video, I would have given a bit more clearance from that big red storm off to the right. He shaves the edge of it...I couldn't see the wind direction...but it did appear a bit closer than I would have liked.

And remember, who is really in charge in the heat of the battle. I have made some very large deviations, even recently, when the entire coast of Spain and France were lined with immense build ups. Of course I do put direct to my destination runway and try to make a compromise in the total distance traveled and the required deviation. Whilst avoiding, I update the fmc route to check destination fuel, even using airports on the map that match my chosen deviation and joining those to whatever flight plan remains. No apologies, but when I am in charge of the airplane and storms are about and the battle is on, I "tell" ATC what heading I will fly...unless of course the cells are well spaced and I will tell them I can go left or right so many degrees and give them the option.

Last edited by stator vane; 4th Aug 2012 at 17:03.