PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AOPA needs our help!!!
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2003, 21:07
antechinus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AOPA members suffer the same problems as do shareholders of listed public companies.

How can members possibly know which directors are competent, pulling their weight and making a positive contribution to the organisation? Are some directors past their ‘use-by’ date? In my experience of company boards, only fellow directors or senior management will ever get to find out. This leaves the members in blissful ignorance.

In AOPA’s case I’m sure all directors are well-meaning and passionate about the cause (otherwise why would they put themselves through purgatory?) and I am proud to have participated with some clever, dedicated and professional aviators. Notwithstanding this, there are serious divisions within the board that go well beyond normal robust debate and
this must leave its mark on AOPA effectiveness.

I should add that criticism of Bill Pike and Bill Hamilton solely because of their present and past employment at QF is unfounded. During my time on the board there was never any instance where either did anything but work tirelessly towards the betterment of GA.

AOPA is pivotal in protecting GA and members need to take a greater interest in the election process, including enhanced scrutiny of candidates. To those who argue that members get the board they deserve I would say that we deserve better.

A vigorously contested election for a completely new board would be the best outcome.

Russell