PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inappropriate rotation technique
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2012, 13:56
ViciousSquirrel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Galaxy and Micro have it as far as I'm concerned.

I see this kind of agressive rotation technique on the EMB 145 a lot, at varying degrees of severity. We have a Pitch Limit Indicator on our PFD which is basically our angle of attack gauge. It doesn't even display on the PFD until you're approaching the critical AOA. For some pilots I've flown with the PLI makes regular appearances when rotating the aircraft. I would take that as an indication that your technique might need a little modification.

Someone mentioned I think the private CRJ that crashed in Birmingham a few years back. This also demonstrates the point nicely. The final report mentioned frost on the wings and an aggressive rotation as the cause. They also mentioned that either one of these by themselves wasn't enough to cause the loss of control.

Bad technique like this is inconsequential 99.9% of the time and might just make the chap next to you a little uncomfortable. It's that 0.1% where the perfect combination comes together that it's going to bite you and bite you hard.

I guess my question then is this: If it says 3 degrees a second in the manual then why not just rotate at 3 degrees a second?