PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - time to 1st solo rotary
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2012, 10:49
LOZZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am currently in a similar position. PUT flying R22.

Today will be hour 40, and no doubt still no solo on account of conditions, quite likely to be gusty.

My instructors appear to have a number of rules, all of which I am very happy with:

1. Less than 10 knots wind inc gusts.
2. Demonstrate 3 good consecutive circuits.
3. Cant be a Sunday for noise abatement purposes and flying circuits.
4. Greater than 20 hours logged PUT.

Therefore on account of the day job means only Saturday is available.

Its was over 3 months ago that the CFI said we can start talking about you going solo. I have flown 1 hour per week since then but as we all know the weather has been cr*p.

I need to ask him whether the min 10 hours solo flying required for the rest of the PPL(H) also requires such conditions, as finishing my license could be a very long affair.

A point to make is that the airfield I train at is near the coast and when comparing to other more inland sites is often windier when comparing TAFs/METARs.

So add all this up in terms of odds for the right conditions at the right time and where I am right now is to be expected.

Going solo is not a big deal for me anymore since realising some people go solo just by doing a lift, hover and touch down exercise (to appreciate C of G changes); whereas I always had it in mind that it meant the aforementioned exercise and: safely completing an airfield circuit with competence in all emergency procedures.

If there were to be an accident and conditions were not appropriate for first solo flight, then my instructor at the time would be for the high jump and the owner of the aircraft would be out of pocket no doubt as insurance wouldnt cough up. Let alone what state I might be in. So not worth the candle pushing against these rules IMHO.

In the meantime I get on with my navex exercises which are a blast, and sometimes ask to spend an hour doing airfield exercises in gusty conditions to improve my handling near the ground. Most dangerous aspect with a heli I think.

At this rate I will be a PPL(H) with about 60hrs possibly more, I would rather that than be a PPL(H) with 45 hours.

I had been giving myself a real hard time recently, turning the whole situation on myself thinking somehow I wasnt making the grade (whatever that is subjectively) and found an old thread on PPRuNe about the frustration of wanting to go solo which helped immensely, some very wise words indeed.

Another thing that helped was that I asked my CFI point blank (having achieved 3 good circuits with him) whether, had the conditions not turned gusty on us half way through the exercise, he would have been happy to have me go solo. He said emphatically yes. That waylaid any concerns around making any "grade".

For all of that, when I have gone solo, even when I have my license, it wont make much difference. I will still be popping down every Saturday or Sunday flying for an hour or so, from time to time with an instructor to make sure I'm not forming bad habits as I start the real learning, which as everyone knows is what a PPL(H) enables. I hope to hour build and follow the commercial route, not so much to make a living as is doubtful at my age, but to raise my flying standard and keep the passion burning. So hours achieved whether within the PPL(H) course or hour building doesnt matter as all counts towards 155 hrs. Yes I know there is a financial aspect between the two, but seen in the overall scheme of things it doesn't add up to a hill of beans.

I hope you find something of value in this reply, I have to confess has done me some good composing it. Chin up.

Loz

Land away from the fish.

Last edited by LOZZ; 4th Aug 2012 at 11:03.