PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ashamed of aviation clothing?
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2003, 20:34
pholooh

Ashamed of aviation clothing?

Sorry but this is a long one
After reading a few threads on this site, I have come to a conclusion that pilots, especially in the UK GA community, have a general disdain for aviation apparel. Pilots are willing to sacrifice safety features for an "GA-compliant" image. I thought safety was a pilot's No.1 priority( at least a good pilot)
I am aware that a few wannabes tend to overdo the whole thing. On a domestic flight in the US last year there were about 5 pilots on my flight, that excluding the crew. How did i know? Raybans, leather flight jackets(with gold wings) and aircrew tags on their luggage. In the US, flight suits are quite common. Raybans and flying jackets are a common sight in the aviation community. Airline pilots over there dont seem to be ashamed to wear their uniforms, some wear them on their jackets and raincoats. Believe it or not, but someone on this forum admitted to changing out of his uniform at the airport so he doesn't have to wear his uniform on his way home!!!!!!!.
I know that Britons do not like to celebrate their achievments, but I think every pilot(solo to ATPL) is entitled to wear thier WINGS, i think it's one of those dying aviation traditions (Nowadays first solo traditions are considered old fashioned!!!)
From the public's point of view, airline uniforms, flight suits, helmets,etc have a fashionable and profession image. One of the main reasoned from the "dislike" of aircrew by non-flying service men is that they always steal the show in public, with their flying apparel and "inflated egos". But in GA we seem to think of the pilot image as somewhat goofy. Remember pilots made sunglasses and leather jackets fashionable. Pilots once used to be celebrities, but that's no more cos we are ashamed of wearing our uniforms in public( and we wonder why airlines treat pilots like cr@p).
As for people not wanting to wear epaulettes, i think it's more of a case of low self esteem or some pros trying to "mark their territory". If wearing 4 bars is going to boost the self esteem of some 17 year old NPPL(which it probably will, then let him wear them. The main reason for the abuse of epaulettes is the lack of standards( for example, what are the hour or license requirements for wearing 3 bars or for one to "Capt" b4 their name?)
You can't walk for 5-10 mins in any british city without seeing some youngster in camouflage, even though they have not "earned" it. And nobody slags them off for it, but if i dare to wear a flying suit or a 'bone-dome' to my local flying club, despite their safety features, you all know how i will be viewed(can wait to get into the loving comfort of the adoring public ).
I think every post-solo pilot has the right to wear wings, every PIC has the right to wear 4 bar and call himself "captian" and any pilot or aviation enthusiast has the right to dress up in a pilot's uniform or flight suit.
By the way i do not own any aviation apparel(yet) but i'm currently looking for nomex underwear
i told it's a long one